Friday, June 28, 2013

Meeting Edmond!

first day of school at NUI Galway :)

Two views of probably one of my favorite spots! Down below is the Angler club! Similar to a Gentlemen's club, country club, or private golf course this is for members only. But we worked our way into getting an inside peek. 

        

EDMOND, NED, PROFESSIONAL ANGLER
These are the views of the where the anglers normally are. It's incredible that these men are out there early in the morning, during the day, all evening, and right back at it the next morning! Edmond is already my favorite. He stands right at the top because as we were informed, he is too old to get in the water so he fishes from above. Edmond taught us a little Old Irish, history of angling, and to enjoy our trip! :) He handed me this little "business" card looking paper out of his wallet and explained to me that I should keep track of it and email him when I'm back in the states and tell him of my trip. Everyday we take this path over to Shoppe Street we peek over to see if we can catch a glimpse of Edmond. Surely we will stop by and say hello before leaving again.




-- just to reassure my mom that I am
feeding myself. I'm new to the grocery
shopping! :)
All my classes are rather enjoyable! Irish Art while at first seemed to be a dull class, the teacher is pretty engaging and the artifacts are fascinating. What really makes the class awesome is that on Saturday we're going to Dublin and seeing the artifacts for ourself! That's what I find so awesome about taking these classes - the history is all around us!! And they take us to experience it.

My archaeological class is not QUITE what I thought it would be - it's much better. For example, we learn about portal tombs and the art/rituals that were found there. Then, our field trips are to prehistoric hills and dig sites of tombs! Plus, the teacher is really cool.

Then I decided to attend the language classes that is twice a week for no credits. It falls between other classes I'm enrolled in and require zero outside work. All we do is learn to speak Old Irish. It sounds sort of like Hebrew/German/French all mixed together. It's really sweet though to be able to say "hello," "thank you," and "goodbye" in their native language.

Kate, Sarah, Courtney, and Rachel by the Angler's Club!
"People come into your life for a reason."


No comments:

Post a Comment